Sunday, March 11, 2012

Breakfast at "The Wood Café" - Culver City

You know I've been living in America too long when my drink of choice is Dr Pepper, when I dream in English, and when I wake up with a craving for biscuits and gravy for breakfast. This dish is usually easy to find at the small diners around town like Rae's or Pantry's and it always brings back good memories like the time my boss' wife cooked us breakfast before we hit the slopes during our trip to Mammoth (Warning: Eating too many biscuits before snowboarding makes it very hard to bend down to strap the bindings).


After discussing our options with my mother who is in Los Angeles for a short vacation, we decided to go to "Green Peas" which is a great restaurant in Culver City with great healthy and vegetarian options and orange or cucumber infused water. However, it seems like every time I try to take my mother to a restaurant, it's either closed on that day or it doesn't exist anymore. Do I learn my lessons? Do I call ahead to see if the restaurant is open? Do I try to make reservations? Nope.... "Green Peas" was being remodeled and we had to jump in the car again to look for another restaurant.



We ended up not far from there at "The Wood Café" in Mar Vista. It's a lovely restaurant with a fire pit outside for dinners and late drinks. Their breakfast menu was very enticing and the colorful dishes on the tables around me looked flavorful. The best part: they even offered a "Southern Biscuit" (eggs, biscuit, sausage and gravy). Their menu says (No Side) but strangely enough you do get a choice of potatoes or salad. After ordering my Arnold Palmer (Iced tea and lemonade for those of you who didn't know what that was) I started stressing out a little because my phone was slowly running out of battery (I never learn that lesson either) and I thought I wouldn't be able to take a picture of my delicious breakfast. As soon as my biscuits came, I took my pictures and started devouring my breakfast. It was probably the best biscuits and gravy I've ever had at a restaurant and the service was great (I ended up with two glasses of Arnold Palmer at the same time at some point when the waitress saw how thirsty I was).

For more information go to their website: "The Wood Café"

No comments:

Post a Comment